Karen Epstein, LCPC, NCC
Life often poses many challenges. At a certain point, it can become quite overwhelming and exhausting to manage alone. You may be unsure how to handle marital and relationship issues or deal with the emotional distress from past and recent unresolved trauma. Or, you may be facing difficult life transitions or dealing with chronic symptoms related to anxiety and depression.
As a therapist, I seek to provide you with a warm, non-judgmental, and culturally-sensitive environment where you will feel heard and validated. I work collaboratively with you to develop a treatment plan that will help you gain greater self-awareness, manage stress, and live a healthier, more authentic life. I also work with women and their partners who are facing issues related to infertility, postpartum depression, loss and perinatal mood disorders.
In my work with couples, I strive to be both objective and empathetic in our sessions. I customize treatment utilizing the Gottman Method approach and other modalities, to help couples identify their issues; improve communication; co-parent effectively; and determine
their relationship goals. I also support couples going through infertility, postpartum depression, loss, and perinatal mood disorders
As a trauma therapist, I provide a safe environment where clients can begin the process of healing from difficult past experiences. I am a Certified Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR) – one of the leading modalities in the treatment of trauma. I have also
worked extensively with survivors of domestic abuse and sexual assault.
I received my Master’s degree from Johns Hopkins University in Clinical Mental Health Counseling. I am also a Certified National Counselor and a Certified EMDR therapist. I am dedicated to making sure you receive the most current evidence-based treatment approaches by continuing to participate in additional trainings, workshops and forums. In addition to EMDR and Gottman Method Couples Therapy, I have received advanced training in Somatic Experiencing, CBT, DBT, Emotional Focused Therapy for Couples, Prepare-Enrich for Couples, Sex Therapy, Mindfulness, and Maternal Mental Health.
I offer an easy 24/7 scheduling process; day and evening appointments; and a FREE 15-minute phone or video consultation. I also provide Telehealth (online) sessions that are confidential and HIPAA compliant. I am licensed in Maryland and Virginia.
For A Confidential Inquiry
ADVANCED TRAINING BACKGROUND
- Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR)
- Flash Technique for EMDR
- Somatic Experiencing
- DBT Skills
- Gottman Method Couples Therapy Levels 1 and 2
- Sex Therapy
- Emotionally Focused Therapy for Couples (EFT)
- Prepare/Enrich for Couples
- Master’s Degree in Clinical Mental Health Therapy From Johns Hopkins University
- Licensed Clinical Professional Counselor (LCPC)
- National Certified Counselor (NCC)
- Certified EMDR Therapist (EMDRIA)
- Maryland Approved Clinical Supervisor, ACS
- American Counseling Association (ACA) Member
- Licensed Clinical Professional Counselors of Maryland (LCPCM) Member
- EMDR International Association (EMDRIA) Member
- American Association of Sexuality Educators, Counselors and Therapist (ASSECT) Member